Skip to content
May 5, 2010 / Nick

Plenty – ‘Juan Sheet’ advert

*gasp* Did he just say what I think he just said? On prime-time TV?!

You’ll remember that Plenty used to be Bounty, and their ads featured the robust cleaning duo Brenda & Audrey.
Now with a new name, they’ve gone for a new advertising mascot – the potentially offensive ethnic stereotype and Nicolas Cage lookalike, Juan Sheet.

I see what they’re going for. The heroic and charismatic caped crusader of Spanish colonial times. A Zorro or El Nombre for these times.
One big problem that the ad makers might have not noticed. ‘Juan Sheet’ in a fake-Hispanic accent sounds a bit rudey.

"It's okay, we can wring it back into the jug. Nobody will taste the difference."

It’s actually funny given how many times he says it. You almost have to keep watching it again and again just to be sure. If sales don’t go up just through sheer exposure to the product, they certainly will when people have to buy kitchen roll to mop up the drink they spat out after hearing an expletive during the ad break of Emmerdale.

If the ad makers really didn’t notice this, somebody is definitely getting fired.

Review: Soon to be up sheet creek with a sheet load of complaints.
4/10

Advertisements

17 Comments

1. Iman Bendjedidi / May 20 2010 11:08 am

Finally someone who agrees with what I have been thinking ever since the first time I saw this ad!! I’m so annoyed. My little daughter is almost 2 and I just heard her copying this ad this morning and it’s awful because she really sounds like she is swearing!!

2. tfeb / May 20 2010 1:21 pm

lol get a grip. Its a light hearted commercial with clearly no offence intended.

it wouldnt surprise me if the ad makers knew exactly what they were doing as im sure sales will go up as a result of this.

If your annoyed that ur daughter is saying one sheet just wait a few years when she comes home from school and says some really rude words that she heard some friend saying in the play ground.

Just deal with it and get a grip

• mcroft / Jun 2 2010 3:33 pm

Yes I have to agree with Iman – I have a 5 year old daughter who now takes great please in walking around the house saying ‘one sheet is plenty’ and then starts grinning at me… my wife thinks she is just copying the ad – but my daughter is playing on it.

• Jane / Feb 5 2012 8:15 pm

:-) Here Here Well said. Perfectly worded.

3. Philip marriott / Jun 6 2010 10:10 am

Come on people no matter who says “juan sheet“ out loud sounds like they are saying “juan sh*t“ the whole focus is on one sheet being replaced for juan sheet. A typical spanish name for john. Its a clever mascot and i cannot belive people cannot see this! Come on people lets not be so simple and superficial and enjoy this amazing advert and many more to come for what thay are focusing on! Juan as a replacement for one.

4. Time Sheet / Jun 8 2010 11:24 pm

Come on, it’s just good old British humour, Kennith Williams must be laughing his socks off in his grave!

5. Dom Pedro / Dec 2 2010 3:21 pm

I think the adverts hilarious, at least the first couple of times you see it, then it starts to wear a bit thin. And who cares if there is a so-called ‘dirty word’ in there. Its just a word, and its Juan Sheet is just a lazy pun. Hey, at least they didnt call him Cuntfuckshitbollocks.

Also it really doesnt matter if your kids copy it, im sure theyve heard worse from you already (I knew nearly every swear word under the sun by the age of six due to my dad’s botched attempts at DIY).

Juan Sheet does plenty (but Lidl own-brand paper towels are a lot cheaper)

• Stevo / Apr 15 2011 2:47 pm

Y’know, I really wish that had had called him “Cuntfuckshitbollocks”!

…I still haven’t stopped laughing at that. Thanks for making my day!

Stevo

• ams94 / Jul 8 2011 10:49 am

he has a nice ass

6. cheesey me / Jul 8 2011 12:41 pm

i would do his dick hard and lick it till he bleeds and then wipe it up with plenty

7. Jane / Feb 5 2012 8:20 pm

I was replying to tfeb by the way. :-)

8. frank / Jul 4 2012 12:37 am

Get a grip

9. how to set up google authorship / Sep 24 2014 12:10 am

I used to be recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure
    whether or not this publish is written via him as no one else recognize
    such specific approximately my trouble. You are amazing!

Thanks!

10. Emergency veterinarian / Oct 29 2015 12:13 am

Tremendous things here. I’m very satisfied to peer your article.

Thanks a lot and I’m having a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a mail?

11. Frank / Nov 6 2015 9:52 am

A dieta dukan começou com próprio criador dela, Dr.
    Pierre Dukan um médico fracês que já ajudou centenas e milhares de
    pessoas emagrecerem com este método que ele mesmo criou.

12. Amee / Nov 23 2015 6:29 pm

Si vous reprenez une activité sportive après une longue interruption, allez-y doucement pour commencer, pas à pas, en augmentant la difficulté, l’intensité et la durée de
    façon progressive, à mesure que votre corps se renforce.

13. Cecil / Dec 1 2015 9:54 pm

Peu de gens réussissent à perdre du poids et à rester minces sans exercices
    réguliers.